Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The White Castle

This was a not a difficult book to read but a difficult book to understand. I still am not sure of what happened nor am I completely sure that there were two main characters or one and I am still not sure what the White Castle Reference is all about. However, despite all of that I think I could safely say that I like the book. There seem to be several themes or issues the author is addressing throughout the text. One of which is can one really define themselves or what or who they are. There is the constant possibility that the two characters in the book could trade lives and also there is more than one scene where it is probable that they do trade roles and assume the other persons life. The first portion of the book characterizes the two men and there is a sense of learning who they are. Later in the book you wonder whether the people have traded places or if characteristics from one character have been adopted by the other character. There is also an important point where the Sultan in the story realizes or comments on how all people are alike no matter where they are from or who they are. Ian took a totally different interpretation of the book than I did and I wanted to write this part of my blog before I read his so that I could remember what I wanted to say without being completely influenced by another opinion but you could read his blog for another take on the book.

No comments: