Sunday, November 18, 2007

Response to Presentations

The presentation by Dr. Ellin was very informative. I thought that attempted to limit outright opinionated comments but still there was definitely a pro-Israel message in there. I thought it very interesting how quickly he acquitted the Israeli government of fault for the settlements in the West Bank. He simply explained it away as a result of religious fanaticism and weak or strong political parties in the government. There was not mention of Sharon visiting the Islamic holy place or that the Israeli government's demand of peace were set at an unrealistic standard. In fact there was little criticism of Israel at all. I am not saying that I agree 100 percent with any side that has been presented thus far but I think it is important to recognize the faults of both parties. Dr. Ellin mentioned that at first the Palestinians did not accept the state of Israel and wanted all of the land for their own state and if they had just accepted Israel from the beginning that they would have had more land than before. I think that yes, perhaps that was a large missed opportunity but at the same time the Palestinians were angry at the forced creation of the state of Israel. It is not surprising that they did not accept it in the beginning and now its as though Dr. Ellin is asking us to continue to blame them for a mistake they made in 1948. Yes maybe they should have accepted Israel then but its a little too late now. Throwing that piece of information does nothing to solve the problem. I would like to know what he thinks should be done in the middle east to bring peace of if peace is even possible. He seemed very eager to place blame and show all the errors that the Palestinians made and basically say that their situation is the result of their actions and its their own fault. But I am left with the question now what?? How long can each side point fingers and lay blame, isn't it time to move past whose fault it is that we are in this situation and try to find a way to solve the problem.

I enjoyed listening to the soldiers from Iraq speak. I have a hard time criticizing what they say as they are over there risking their lives. I thought the difference felt toward Americans over the generations was interesting as was the teaching of cultural diversity to the army soldiers. I thought that they were entertaining speakers, and all had valid points and a little different take on what was going on over there. I was also interested to hear the one soldier's take on an exit strategy from Iraq as I have heard many people criticize handing power over to a foreign countries police or army force.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

1 comment:

lindasthoughts said...

I agree with you. It's time to stop pointing fingers and find a solution to the problem so there will be peace and no more lives lost. I also agree that the problem now is on both sides. They have to find a way to meet in the middle. Each one is going to have to give a little bit. Maybe someday there will be peace over there.