Sunday, October 21, 2007

Carter

I read the book, the whole long book and found that I actually enjoyed most of it. I had been somewhat ignorant to the role that countries such as Syria played in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the book was quite helpful in clarifying many things. There were a couple of parts that were a little fuzzy but I thought the overall point was clear and easy to see and understand. There is blame to lay on both sides of situation. It seems like humanity in general should be past the stage where we claim land with flags and walls and forget about the families that live in that land. I don't quite understand why, if Israel's actions are considered violations of international law, there is not a some sort of consequence or plan to stop them. Israel does not seem overly concerned about respecting the borders that were set in 1967, nor do they seem concerned that the wall is inflicting immense hardship on the Palestinians. There are some key issues that are preventing peace in and Israel or at least its leaders seem more content to suppress the enemy than to find a peaceful solution; as a result, the Palestinians are retaliating in violence, what a messy cycle. The whole situation makes me sad and slightly disgusted with people.

I was intrigued that Carter said history repeats itself. The last history prof that I had made a point of saying that History did not repeat itself and then gave a list of reasons as to why. Of course I can't remember why at the moment but that could be due to the fact that the class was at 8 in the morning.

See ya Monday.

3 comments:

Allen Webb said...

Your blog has powerful images and political cartoons that would be a good jumping off point for class discussion!

Patricia Schultz said...

I'm curious about why your prof said that history didn't repeat itself. The phrase, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it" is one I've heard quite often.

Dray's Blog said...

I think your old prof went by the idea of "igornorance is bliss". I know that history can and will repeate it self. Look at the world wars. If you absolutly want to, look at 9/11. They attempted to bomb the trade towers in the 90's and then again, a sucess unfortunatly, in 2000.