Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Othello

I think this might be the first time I have read Shakespeare so I bought a book that helps me understand what the play is about. I looked him up on Wikipedia and I looked up Othello there also. I have seen the movie "O" so I had an idea about the premise of the play but I must say I am really enjoying the play. I really like how jealousy is portrayed as a monster or a poison that possesses or controls people and corrupts them. There is also a line in Act three that struck me as fascinating, about the idea of wisdom vs. honesty Iago says
"I should be wise, for honesty's a fool
And loses what it works for."

Part of what I like about this is that Othello, Desdemona, and Cassio are all honest but it appears they may not be wise or are at least easily manipulated. Iago has earned all their trust and is using it to benefit and advance himself. Thus these honest people look foolish and silly for trusting such as conniving individual. Perhaps if they were wise instead of honest they could have seen through the evil plans of Iago, but that would defeat the purpose of the story.

I looked up Moor and it seems as though there is some debate as to what the term actually means. According to Wikipedia it did necessarily specifically refer to race but could also have referred to the nationality and religion of the character (see the site for more details). However, I saw someone else found it could just simply mean race. Perhaps the ambiguity of the term reflects more on the idea of alienation than specifics such as the nationality, religion, or race.

Shakespeare is thought to be Catholic and I can't help but laugh and wonder if perhaps his Catholicism helped him write his tragedies. ;) Sorry to offend if anyone is Catholic I have met some very upbeat, happy, and spiritual Catholics that do not at all fit the stereotype of the religion; however, it does at first appear to be a depressing and guilt ridden religion.

2 comments:

r4kijews said...

I never knew that Shakespeare was Catholic...interesting.

Patricia Schultz said...

Since I didn't see "O" until after I first read Othello, I enjoyed reading the perspective of someone who did things the other way around.