Saturday, September 8, 2007

Just some information

I thought some information that I have learned so far that might help everyone understand and maybe clarify some ideas for myself about the tension in the middle east. It is a common misconception that Islam spread by "the tip of a sword" however that is not the case. Most people believe that when Islam began spreading Muslims killed or taxed into poverty those individuals who would not convert religions. In some cases, this may actually have happened but most people under Muslim rule experienced heart felt conversions. Once a person lives under a culture for a period of time, they begin to adopt and understand the ways of that culture. In America, for example, everyone, on some level or another, must confront Jesus, if on no other level than they have to deal with increased numbers shopping around Christmas. People adapt and often adopt certain practices simply out of the need for conformity or comfort. Islam spread more by this than by force.

Keep in mind when reading about the Crusades that the brutality that was exercised on both sides strays drastically from the foundations of both Christianity and Islam. Christians thought that by "freeing" Jerusalem, the "holy city" from the Muslims it would bring about the end of the world, the return of Jesus, and Utopia on earth. Operating under the delusion that is was God's will they waged war and invasions. I personally think that greed, power, and the need to prove one's religion was superior to the others were also motivational ideas, either way they used religion to justify their actions and that almost always spells disaster.

As to the conflict in the Middle East, I am more ignorant that I would like to be but I know enough to get myself in trouble. Jerusalem is considered a holy city by both the Jews and the Muslims and both have staked their claims. Jerusalem holds part of the wall of the Second Temple that was destroyed by the Romans. For Jews, the only place that official sacrifices can take place is in the Temple, in Jerusalem, as specified in their teachings given to them by God through Moses. On the other side of it, there is a Mosque in Jerusalem that is considered by the Muslims to be the third holiest place, as it holds a footprint left by Muhammad. Muhammad supposedly spoke not only to Moses, but was spoken to by God through the angel Gabrielle, and thus is the superior prophet. Each religion holds Jerusalem as its center holy city, each religion has holy sites in the city. Add the holocaust and the feeling by most Jews that "never again" will they be a weakened and vulnerable people and you have a new problem in the equation. Israel was created after the holocaust, in part so that the Jews had a place of their own that they could go and feel safe. Unfortunately, creating Israel uprooted and left many Palestinians/Muslims homeless and the country Israel and the actions by the UN were not recognized by many Islamic nations. All of this results in one big mess.

If there is something that I have missed or been misinformed on please correct me so that we can all better understand.

3 comments:

Allen Webb said...

You seem well informed to me! I think the point you make about Islam being a "heart-felt" religion is an important one. Later this semester we will read from the Koran and, I hope, visit a mosque and talk with faithful Muslims. That should give us an interesting opportunity to learn more about how they feel about their religion.

Patricia Schultz said...

I think it curious that you say greed, power, and religion should not be reasons for war. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to insult or offend you, but your comments do leave me rather confused.
If you're taking away greed, then you must also take away all monetary benefits. If you take away power, then you take away all psychological benefits. If you take away religion, then you take away all philisophical and moral benefits.
So my question is simply this:
If you exclude the factors of greed, power, and religion, what CAN possibly be a sufficint reason to go to war?

Diane said...

Mass genocide seems like a pretty good reason to go to war (sorry sarcasm). I am not an advocate of war I think people would do better to open their minds, share a little and attempt to coexist and drop the human superiority complex but thats an ideal not reality. Trying to come up with the possible justifications of war would result in a complex philosophical discussion that would be more efficiently conducted in person. What I simply meant was that I think greed and power were just as big of motivations if not more than religion and religion seemed like a nice way to justify the crusades. Jesus never claimed that brutally murdering thousands of people to bring about the end of the world was God's will. In ancient times people thought that conquering another group of people showed the superiority of their God and thus their religion. I think this may have carried over into the crusades. Whichever religion controlled the "holy city" had the "right" religion, the "right" belief and was thus superior. I personally do not think there is a right or superior religion. I think this superiority complex strays from the spirituality at the core of religion. You did not insult of offend me, its always good to see I am lacking clarity and where I have holes in my thinking. =)